06 September 2007
Mosquito Bite Remedies
Since the massive rains two weeks ago, we are experiencing massive mosquitoes. As Bryan said, it's like they are trying to squeeze a whole summer of mosquitoes into two weeks. It's really bad out there and we are all covered with bites.

I am part of the Lima Moms Network. (go ahead and sign up if you like. It's mostly just useful for Moms in the Lima, Ohio area, but some of the stuff is good for everybody. You'll get in if you sign up. Kristi doesn't turn anyone away.) Today I asked the group what itchy mosquito bite remedies they have used. I've gotten lots of good answers so far. There are a few that suggest the same things, but I've kept all the answers exactly as I received them on the forum. I will keep updating this as they come in.
  • We are using Benadryl cream and liquid form if really bad. Seems to help
    with swelling and itch. I also put a thin, long sleeve shirt over them so
    they tend not to itch as much.
  • Make a paste with baking soda and water - apply and let dry. My dad's favorite home remedy for us when we were little.
  • My daughters got bitten up when we went to Atlanta...Benadryl was the #1 thing I found. We tried the gel Benadryl (helped somewhat) and After Bite (helped somewhat) but the regular liquid Benadryl helped them sleep at night without scratching themselves to death.
  • It may only be a temporary solution, but when you are outdoors and don't have much else -- Purell or other hand sanitizer stops the itch for me! My mom always used witch hazel (the Tucks hemorrhoid pads have witch hazel in them and would be convenient) or a low dose OTC cortisone cream. Good luck!
  • afterbite! it works great - I know you can get it at andersons or walmart.
  • I bought some itch ointment at Wal-Mart called After-Bite for kids. It is especially formulated ( for kids) not to burn. This is only true if you get to them befor your child scratches it open. Otherwise, it does not seem to burn or sting when I use it on Jason, but is sure stops the itch.
  • There is a tube of stuff liquid called after bite (the itch eraser) I found it at meijers in the pharmacy. on the bottom shelf It runs around 2.99 Hope
    this helps.
  • Last weekend - I used my "mud" (it's blue) spa by bath and body works on my husbands bites - he thought it worked.
  • Calamine lotion or ice packs...they're real bad this week, huh??
  • I don't know if it's been mentioned but deodorant works! You rub it on your bite & actually kills the itching sensation. We do it all the time, lol.
  • We use Gold Bond anti-itch cream

Labels: ,

posted by Aimee @ 9:53 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Aimee
Home: Lima, Ohio, United States
About Me: I own and run 123 Design Studio, a custom web and graphic design studio. I am mother to four wonderful boys: Max, age 10, Xavier, age 7, Eli, age 3, and Toby, age 1. Bryan & I have been married for 18 (mostly wonderful LOL) years. I eat excessive amounts of sugar and laugh inappropriately.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Other Wastes of Your Time
Some of my Favorite Reads