19 January 2008
Chivalry and Dvorak
Chivalry is dead.

I discovered this last Saturday morning at Max's basketball game. I am 8 months pregnant and look every bit of 8 months pregnant. So, on Saturday morning, I get to the game; the gym is packed and there are no chairs left to sit in. Lots of people noticed me standing there in the doorway, including many men. Did anyone jump up and say, “Here, take this seat!”

Nope, not on your life.

They saw me standing there in the doorway, sized me up and then turned their attention back to the players warming-up on the floor. So, I stand there for a bit.

Actually, I'm stunned.

I just expected that someone or several people would help me find a place to sit. Not that I'm a princess and expect people to fulfill my every wish and want; rather I assumed it was common courtesy to help women who might not necessarily be able to help themselves (pregnant, elderly, etc...)

So, after a bit, I go over to the rack in the hallway that holds the folding chairs and get one down for myself and sit in the doorway. Not a big deal, except two grown, capable men watched me struggle to take a chair down and then lug it over to the doorway.

They WATCHED me!

Hello?!?

Did it not occur to either of them that I could use their muscles. What ever happened to the whole “Knight in shining armor” attitude. Rescue the damsel in distress! Be the hero! Jeezy peets. It was just one stinking chair. But, then I had to get another chair for Eli. And, of course, the men watched me again and did not make any motion to help or even apologize for not helping.

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it really qualifies for. But, it seems to me a breakdown of a basic societal rule: The stronger help the weaker. I drill this into my kids’ heads. I tell them all the time: If you are in the position to help someone, DO IT!

Or maybe that is just a Christian rule. There is no way I would be allowed to get my own chair at church. There would be a dozen other people jumping up to help me. And other people would chide me for trying to get my own chair.

Makes me feel good about my church and somewhat uneasy about our society.

**********************************

On to a happier topic:

Eli has discovered Dvorak.

One of my favorite all-time pieces of music is Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9 (The New World Symphony) I love all of it, but I especially love the fourth movement. It has a raw power and energy that is unsurpassed in my opinion. The best version is the Chicago Symphony Orchestra as conducted by Sir Georg Solti. Solti was an amazing maestro who could create sweeping emotions within any piece of music.

I wish I could find an intenet version of the fourth movement conducted by Solti for you to put here, but the best I can do is the Wiener Philharmoniker. Herbert von Karajan, conductor. (Yeah, the Wiener Philharmonic. huh huh, you said weiner. LOL)




It's an awesome piece of music and one that I was playing on a recent morning before breakfast. As soon as the music started, Eli stopped what he was doing and went into the living room. He just stood there, totally still and transfixed, staring at the CD player for the entire 11 minute and 28 second movement. When it was over he grabbed me and pointed at the CD player. (He's a man of action, not words.) So, I started it again. He climbed up into a nearby chair and continued to stare at the CD player.


Then, he begins to conduct!


It was such a neat experience for me! That he, at the age of two-and-a-half, can be so moved by a piece of music that I love. And that he just innately knew to conduct! He hasn't seen me ever conduct a musical group; I haven't done any conducting since before my kids were born. And, unfortunately, we haven't been to many concerts of any kind. But, he just knew. It's in his blood. How cool is that.

And, what is probably the best part? When Eli is doing something he shouldn't, I just turn on Dvorak and he stops to go listen and conduct! LOL

I'm going to introduce him to Gershwin next. I think he'll really like that!

Labels: , ,

posted by Aimee @ 8:58 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At January 20, 2008 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remind my kids constantly about letting others go first, helping out those in need. My big pet peeve is when I am holding a sleeping three year old, and no one bothers to open a door, or give up a seat....blahhh...I sometimes even say to my kids when someone cuts me off...see why you should let others go first, it makes you feel bad...of course I say it loud enough for the offender to hear...anywho....i love that Eli loves your favorite piece....aimee, you are such a awesome mother...i am always awed by you!

    Love, Your Friend Amy W....women of goshen who misses her bff dearly! :o)

    PS...glad you finally updated :o)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Aimee
Home: Lima, Ohio, United States
About Me: I own and run 123 Design Studio, a custom web and graphic design studio. I am mother to four wonderful boys: Max, age 10, Xavier, age 7, Eli, age 3, and Toby, age 1. Bryan & I have been married for 18 (mostly wonderful LOL) years. I eat excessive amounts of sugar and laugh inappropriately.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Other Wastes of Your Time
Some of my Favorite Reads